Followers

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Mount Moriah Cemetery [South West Philadelphia]

I have to admit I only first heard of Mt Moriah from Hidden City Philadelphia last week [Aug 8 2013] and after some quick research I had to make a trip.When we first arrived I was in awe with the size and overall condition of the cemetery but I was hooked with beauty of it.
 There is a non profit group trying to bring back Mt Moriah back to what it once was with monthly mowing workdays but with over 200 acres they have a very long road ahead of them,they are always looking for donations to cover the costs of the up keep here is a link to there site http://www.friendsofmountmoriahcemetery.org/
As a photographer I tried to look past the overgrown of weeds and grass to look at the beauty of this 150 year old place of rest for some well known people that alot to do with City of Philadelphia and the Many of War Veterans from as far back as the Civil War.I will revisit Mt Moriah many more times to see the progress the Friends of Mt Moriah make with there battle against all odds.
  Here is a Wikipedia page link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Moriah_Cemetery_(Philadelphia)







 

1 comment:

  1. Hi-My name is Gigi and I am with Friends of Mount Moriah. I am creating a performance about the Cemetery and its interred residents- would you be interested in allowing me to use some of your stunning photos? giggoal.mcgraw47@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete